October 27-28, 2023
Convened at Grace Cathedral, San Francisco
The Convention passed the following resolutions as originally presented:
- Resolution #1: Migration with Dignity
- Resolution #2: Addressing Gun Violence to Safeguard our Youth
- Resolution #4: To Add Howard W. Thurman to the Episcopal Church Calendar
The Convention passed the following resolutions with amendment:
- Resolution #3: Legislative Themes for the 81st General Convention
- Resolution #5: Access to Prison Ministries
The Convention adopted the following resolutions amending governing documents of the Convention and Diocese:
- Resolution B: Amend Canons II & III – Require Anti-Racism Training Certification for Clergy and Delegates to Convention
- Resolution C: Correct References to Episcopal Church Canons
- Resolution D: Special Rules for the Electing Convention of the Ninth Bishop of California
The Convention passed the following resolution regarding actions of the Convention and other governing bodies of the Diocese meeting remotely:
The Convention took no action on (postponed indefinitely) the following proposed amendment to the Constitution:
- Resolution A: Amend Article VI Sec. 6.4 of the Constitution Lay members of Executive Council and Standing Committee as Delegates of Convention
The Convention passed, without amendment, the following financial resolutions:
The Convention received Bishop Marc’s call for the election of a Bishop Coadjutor and the summary of the Coadjutor’s duties.
The Convention received a report from the Secretary of the Convention about pending changes to the Constitution of The Episcopal Church before the General Convention.
The Convention ratified, by acclamation, courtesy resolutions for:
- Episcopal Community Services
- Rabbi Jonathan Singer of Congregation Emmanu-El, San Francisco
- The Rt. Rev. Dr. Marc Handley Andrus, VIII Bishop of the Diocese of California
Texts of the courtesy resolutions will be published shortly in the certified actions of the 174th Convention and in the subsequent Journal of the Convention at the Convention website.
The Convention elected the following members of diocesan governing bodies and convention officers:
Gretchen Lintener (lay member)
Audrey Miskelley (clergy member)
AnnaMarie Hoos (clergy member)
George Strait (lay member)
Treasurer of the Diocese
Secretary of the Convention
(The Rev.) Br. Richard Edward Helmer BSG
The Convention consented to the following appointments by the Bishop to the Commission on Ministry:
Toni Martinez Borgfeldt
Ana Marina Vaquerano
Jac Cherry (deacon)
Stephen Siptroth (priest)
Sarah Stewart (priest)
Standing Committee announced its new officers:
President: The Rev. Dr. Mauricio Wilson
Vice President: Mr. Sean McConnell
Secretary: The Rev. Jane Stratford
Convention received reports from its several active task forces, commissions, governing bodies, diocesan working groups, and diocesan missions. Written reports are available HERE.
Convention welcomed visits from the Honorable Nancy Pelosi, former Speaker of the House of Representatives, and Rabbi Jonathan Singer of Congregation Emmanu-El, San Francisco.
Questions about the actions of the 174th Convention of the Diocese of California may be directed to Br. Richard Edward Helmer, Secretary.