Welcome to the Social Justice Timeline of The Episcopal Church in the San Francisco Bay Area!
Discover our proud history of involvement in Social Justice movements:
At the forefront of social justice for decades, The Episcopal Church in the San Francisco Bay Area has a rich history of advocating for equality, compassion, and inclusivity in our communities. Our historical timeline, spanning from pre-colonial times to modernity and postmodernity, showcases our commitment to making a positive impact.
Key Moments from Our Timeline:
- In 1579, the San Francisco Bay Area witnessed the first Christian service and the use of the Book of Common Prayer in North America.
- During 1963-4, the Ad Hoc Committee to End Discrimination was formed, paving the way for civil rights activism.
- In 2003, The Episcopal Church consecrated its first openly gay bishop, Gene Robinson, a significant step towards inclusivity.
- In 2008, Bishop Marc Handley Andrus was the first to allow open blessings of same-gender unions in The Episcopal Church after the passing of Proposition 8, which prohibited marriage equality.
- In 2015, the Breaking the Glass Ceiling Facebook Group was established by Canon Stefani Schatz, providing a safe space for women in The Episcopal Church to share their experiences and advocate for change.
- In 2020, the global pandemic of COVID-19 arrived in the San Francisco Bay Area, disproportionately affecting communities of color, especially Hispanic/Latinx communities.
- In 2022, Bishop Marc Handley Andrus played a key role in moving multiple resolutions on the environment to the House of Bishops’ Consent Calendar during the General Convention of The Episcopal Church.
- In 2023, Bishop Marc Handley Andrus participated in an interfaith Black Lives Matter die-in and rally held at Berkeley’s All Souls Episcopal Church, demonstrating our continued commitment to fighting racial injustice.
Explore our legacy of positive change
Our timeline is a testament to our dedication to creating a more just and compassionate society. Dive deeper into our inspiring journey by exploring the complete Social Justice Timeline.
Join Us in Celebrating Our Legacy
We invite you to celebrate our legacy and join us in working towards a brighter future. Together, we can continue making a difference in the lives of those we serve.