For decades, the Diocese of California has been at the front of LGBTQ+ advocacy in The Episcopal Church and the Anglican Communion. Some of examples from Bishop Marc’s episcopate include:
- Chancellor Christopher Hayes and Bishop Marc gathered amicus curiae briefs from dioceses around The Episcopal Church to support both the overturning of the U.S. military’s “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell” policy and Proposition 8, which banned same-ex marriage in California.
- Bishop Marc raised money for production of “Voices of Witness, Africa,” a documentary highlighting the voices of LGBTQ+ Anglicans, and he organized events at the 2008 Lambeth Conference to show the film after Proposition 8 was passed.
- The Diocese of California, under Bishop Marc, was the first diocese in The Episcopal Church to allow open blessings of same-gender unions!
- Bishop Marc was the first Bishop of California to march in the Pride Parade!
- Bishop Marc ordained the second transgender person in The Episcopal Church.
- Bishop Marc joined the Episcopal Church, the Scottish Episcopal Church and others at the 2022 Lambeth Conference in pushing back on to the “Lambeth Calls” document that was distributed to Anglican bishops on the eve of the conference. It contained objectionable content in its Statement on Human Dignity. The content included an apparent attempt to fast-track a Communion-wide stance opposing same-gender marriage.