The Mobile Canon checks in

Posted on July 28, 2015

This past weekend, the three congregations of St. James across the diocese celebrated their patrons.  

On Saturday, July 25, St. James, San Francisco commemorated its 125 years of ministry. Bishop Marc Andrus presided at the afternoon liturgy and the current rector the Rev. John Kirkley preached. The many lay leaders, particularly senior wardens, and two of the previous rectors (the Revs. Peter Lawson and Mary Moore Gaines) were also recognized during the Holy Eucharist which was followed by dinner in the parish hall. The party continued with dancing to a local DJ in the courtyard on California Street as the sun set.


The congregation of St. James in Fremont gathered with their ecumenical neighbors from the Philippine Independent Church on the morning of Sunday, July 26. The Rev. Lori Walton, their rector, was joined for Holy Eucharist by the Rev. Mandy de Mesa (of Parish of the Holy Infant Jesus) and the Rev. Efren Picart (of the Parish of Holy Cross and Our Lady of Peace). Worship was followed by an outdoor potluck lunch for members of both congregations including traditional roast pork. St. James was established in the Diocese of California by Bishop Kip in 1877. (photo credit B. Roberts) 



St. James–La Iglesia de Santiago, Oakland organized an outdoor procession honoring St. James from the parking lot into the church on Sunday afternoon, July 26. The bilingual liturgy included a sermon by the Rev. Dr. John Kater, prayers for returning pilgrims and for those who dream of making a pilgrimage, the initiation of new acolytes, and Holy Eucharist. Contributions from members of the congregation included dinner with food from many nations and then everyone learned to country line dance! St. James was established in 1860.