Resources for Raising Capital in Congregations
Church growth and development experts suggest that a healthy congregation should undergo a capital campaign every seven to ten years. While that may seem often to many, there is wisdom in this idea. Capital campaigns have many inward and outward benefits to a congregation.
- Invigorate the community on a new project or vision
- Show the neighborhood that vitality and growth are present here
- Allow for some people who have significant capacity to make generous gifts that would otherwise remain hidden
What is a capital gift?
Capital gifts can be:
- used for brick and mortar building projects
- beginning or growing endowments
- paying off debt
- incubating and funding new ministries
Capital campaigns are phased campaigns, asking for gifts pledged over time. Not every capital gift has to be a stretch gift, campaigns are built on gifts of all sizes. In addition, pledges can often be paid with securities or other payment vehicles.?
For a list of recommended capital campaign consultants, or to begin talking about running at capital campaign in your congregation, contact Davey Gerhard, Director of Development, at email@example.com